Materials © Cmassengale
goggles/glasses & aprons must be worn at all times in the laboratory.
back long hair & secure lose clothing.
horseplay is allowed in the lab.
food or drink is allowed in the laboratory.
good “housekeeping” techniques. Return
items to proper places in good condition.
Avoid cluttering your work area.
use chemicals from unlabeled containers.
Check each label before dispensing a chemical, & do not return a
chemical to a bottle without the teacher’s permission.
told otherwise, treat all chemicals as poisonous or corrosive.
Wash hands immediately with plenty of water if chemical gets on them
and always wash your hands before leaving lab.
unauthorized lab work may be done, & a teacher must be present to do lab
Read & study each lab assignment before coming to lab.
Pay attention to safety notes in the lab manual and from the
instructor. Some common lab
* Never pipette by
* Never use chipped or cracked
* Do not heat a closed
* Do not point heated containers at yourself
or another person
* Use a fume hood for noxious
* Place heated glass on wire gauze until
* Do not use flammable material near open
* Wear gloves when dispensing irritating
* Dilute concentrated acids by adding acid
* Turn off burners and water faucets when
not in use & before leaving lab
* Only heat glassware marked Kimex or
* Use glycerin and a twisting motion to
insert glass tubing into stoppers
* Use tongs, test tube holders, or
heat-resistant gloves to handle hot glassware
* Use pins to secure dissecting organisms to
the dissecting tray before cutting with a scalpel
* Wash hands before and after dissecting and
keep hands away from your face
Report all accidents immediately to the
Know the location and proper use of all safety equipment in the lab.
Know where all exits are from the lab.
PRINT SAFETY RULES & LAB