1. How many known species are there?
2. What percent of all organisms that have ever lived is this?
3. Are all organisms on Earth today identified?
4. Define classification.
5. What is another term for classification?
6. What do you call scientists that study classification?
7. Classifying organisms makes naming organisms more _____________ and _____________.
8. Classifying prevents ____________ or inaccurate naming.
9. Give two examples of misnomers and explain why they aren't correct.
10. What language is used for scientific naming?
11. Sometimes, scientific names may be ___________ instead of Latin.
12. Why don't scientists around the world just use more simple, common names for organisms?
13.What language is universally used by scientists for naming?
14. Who was the first taxonomist and what two groups did he place organism in?
15. How did Aristotle subdivide his two groups?
16. Who was first to use Latin for scientific naming?
17. What was the problem with Ray's names?
18. What 18th century taxonomist developed the naming system still used today?
19. How did Linnaeus group his organisms?
20. Who is the "father of taxonomy"?
21. What is Linnaeus's naming system called?
22. Explain binomial nomenclature.
23. Besides Latin, what other language is sometimes used for scientific names?
24. How do scientific names appear in print?
25. What must be done to a scientific name when you are writing it?
26. Give an example of a common and scientific name for an animal.
27. Where can you find the rules for naming organisms?
28. All scientific names must be approved by ________________ ___________ ______________.
29. Why do naming congresses have to approve names?
30. What is a taxon?
31. What is plural for taxon?
32.There is a ______________ of groups that goes from the broadest grouping to the most _____________ grouping.
33. Name the 8 taxon in order from broadest to most specific.
34. What is the NEWEST and BROADEST taxon?
35. Instead of the taxon phylum, what other taxon is used for plants at this level?
36. What is the most specific taxon?
37. Write the sentence used to help remember the 8 most important taxonomic levels.
38. Complete the following taxonomic table:
|Classification for Humans|
Domains of Organisms
39. How many domains are there?
40. Name the 3 Domains.
41. What are the main characteristics of Archaea and Eubacteria?
42. What are the main characteristics of the Domain Eukarya?
43. What Domain of organisms probably evolved first?
44. Where do Archaea live? Give some examples.
45.Name an Archaean.
46. Where are eubacteria found?
47. Some bacteria cause ______________ but many act as decomposers & are important to the ______________.
48. Some members of eubacteria live in the __________ of animals.
49. The Domain Eukarya is divided into how many kingdoms?
50. List the 4 kingdoms of Eukarya and tell what organisms are in each group.
51. Which 2 kingdoms contain all multicellular members?
52. List the main characteristics of the Kingdom Protista.
53. Microscopic organisms found in pond water are most likely in the kingdom _______________.
54. All members of the Kingdom Fungi are _____________ except for unicellular ____________.
55. What type of heterotrophic organism are fungi?
56. Explain what it means to be an absorptive heterotrophic.
57. The cell walls of fungi are made of ______________.
58. Members of the kingdom Plantae are all ________________ and _____________.
59. What do plants use as their energy to make food?
60. Name the food making process of plants.