|Cell Structure and Function|
1. What is the smallest basic unit of life?
2. What is needed to see most cells?
3. ___________ are made of one cell, while _______ are composed of more than one cell.
4. What are prokaryotic cells?
5. Give an example of a prokaryote.
6.What are eukaryotes?
7. Are plant and animal cells prokaryotes or eukaryotes?
8. Where is DNA found inside prokaryotic cells?
9. What 2 structures surround prokaryotic cells?
10. What organelle, not surrounded by a membrane, is found in prokaryotes & eukarotes?
11. Name the 3 basic cell structures in eukaryotes.
12. __________ are small structures in the cytoplasm that perform specific functions.
13. Give the function of these organelles:
a. endoplasmic reticulum
b. Golgi bodies
14.Describe the structure of Golgi bodies.
15. Golgi receive and modify _________ made by the ER.
16. what structures pinch off the ends of the “shipping” side of Golgi to carry cell products to their destination?
17. Lysosomes contain __________ enzymes to break down _______ and worn out ________ parts.
18. Explain how lysosomes are programmed for cell daeth.
19. Where is the nucleolus located?
20. Cells may have _______ to ______ nucleoli.
21. Nucleoli make _____________ that make __________ for the cell.
22. How does smooth ER differ from rough ER?
23. Proteins used in the cell are made by __________ Er, while proteins to be exported are made by _____________ ER.
24. What organelle serves as the powerhouse of the cell?
25. What important process takes place in the mitochondria?
26. Which type of cells would have more mitochondria & why?
27. ___________ like glucose are burned in the mitochondria to release cellular energy known as __________.
28. What surrounds the outside of all cells?
29. In plant cells, a cell __________ surrounds the cell membrane for extra support.
30. What 2 things make up all cell membranes?
31.Cell membranes only allow certain materials into & out of the cell so they are said to be ________________ _____________.
32. The cell ______________ is a living layer around cells, while the cell ________ in plants is nonliving.
33. Jelly-like material inside the cell membrane is called _______________ and is where most ____________________ of the cell take place.
34. Organelles are found inside the cell’s _________________.
35. The ______________ controls the activities of the cell and contains the cell’s _____________.
36. the ______________________ surrounds the nucleus.
37. Chromosomes inside the nucleus contain _____________ that control the cell’s characteristics.
38. Plant cell walls are made of _____________ fibers and are freely ______________.
39. Cell walls resist the loss of _________ from a cell and give _________ & support to the cell.
40. What large organelle takes up most of the space in a plant cell?
41. What is the membrane called that surrounds the central vacuole in plants?
42. Cell __________ is found inside the central vacuole & may contain ____________, proteins, _____________, wastes, and ______________.
43. Give 3 examples of different kinds of plant cells.
44. Name 2 structures found in plant, but NOT animal cells.
45. Animal cells store their carbohydrate energy as ________________ in their cytoplasm.
46. What paired organelle involved with cell division is found in animal but NOT plant cells?
47. Name 6 types of animal cells.
48. List 3 similarities between plant and animal cells.
49. How do plant and animal cells compare in size?
50. How do plant and animal cells compare in shape to each other?
51. Do animal cells have cell walls?
52. Animal cells sore food energy as _____________, while plants store food energy as ____________.
53. Where is the nucleus in:
a. animal cells?
b. plant cells?
54. Do animal cells have vacuoles like plant cells? Explain.
55. Light microscopes are also called ____________ microsopes.
56. Light microscopes can magnify objects up to ____________ times.
57. Label the parts of the microscope:
LEVELS OF ORGANIZATION
58. Cells of _____________ organisms are specialized to do different jobs.
59. Give 2 examples of specialized cells & their jobs.
60. Similar cells grouped together to do a job are called ____________.
61. ____________ and _________ are 2 types of tissues in animals, while ___________- and ____________ are types of plant tissues.
62. Tissues working together to do a job are known as __________.
63. Give an example of organs found in:
64. Several organs & tissues working together to carry out a set of functions is known as a ______________.
65. Name & give the function for 4 animal systems.
66. Systems working together make an _______________.