All Materials © Cmassengale
- Safety goggles/glasses & aprons must be worn at all times in the laboratory.
- Tie back long hair & secure lose clothing.
- No horseplay is allowed in the lab.
- No food or drink is allowed in the laboratory.
- Practice good “housekeeping” techniques. Return items to proper places in good condition. Avoid cluttering your work area.
- Never use chemicals from unlabeled containers. Check each label before dispensing a chemical, & do not return a chemical to a bottle without the teacher’s permission.
- Unless told otherwise, treat all chemicals as poisonous or corrosive. Wash hands immediately with plenty of water if chemical gets on them and always wash your hands before leaving lab.
- No unauthorized lab work may be done, & a teacher must be present to do lab work.
- Read & study each lab assignment before coming to lab. Pay attention to safety notes in the lab manual and from the instructor. Some common lab concerns:
* Never pipette by mouth
* Never use chipped or cracked glassware
* Do not heat a closed system
* Do not point heated containers at yourself or another person
* Use a fume hood for noxious fumes
* Place heated glass on wire gauze until cool
* Do not use flammable material near open flame
* Wear gloves when dispensing irritating chemicals
* Dilute concentrated acids by adding acid to water
* Turn off burners and water faucets when not in use & before leaving lab
* Only heat glassware marked Kimex or Pyrex
* Use glycerin and a twisting motion to insert glass tubing into stoppers
* Use tongs, test tube holders, or heat-resistant gloves to handle hot glassware
* Use pins to secure dissecting organisms to the dissecting tray before cutting with a scalpel
* Wash hands before and after dissecting and keep hands away from your face
- Report all accidents immediately to the teacher.
- Know the location and proper use of all safety equipment in the lab.
- Know where all exits are from the lab.
| PRINT SAFETY RULES & LAB CONTRACT
| PRINT SAFETY WORKSHEET