Right Click on Topic & choose “SAVE AS” to Show any of these 5 minute class openers!
CELL CYCLE & MITOSIS
WORKSHEETS & INTERACTIVES:
- Cell Division: Binary Fission and Mitosis This site, from the University of Arizona, is an illustrated lecture place on mitosis and cell division. It contains many diagrams that may help you understand all the process of cell division.
- Studying Cells Introduce yourself to the cell as the fundamental unit of life and the scientific method.
- The Cell Cycle & Mitosis Understand the events that occur in the cell cycle and the process of mitosis that divides the duplicated genetic material creating two identical daughter cells.
- Mitosis Animation Although the diagrams here are somewhat rough, they do a good job of showing the essential features of mitosis. Just remember that the figures show the nucleus, not the entire cell!
- Meiosis Understand the events that occur in process of meiosis that takes place to produce our gametes.
- Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes, & Viruses Learn about the cells that make up all living systems, their organelles, and the differences between living cells and viruses.
- The Cytoskeleton Learn that the cytoskeleton acts both a muscle and a skeleton, and is responsible for cell movement, cytokinesis, and the organization of the organelles within the cell.
- Online Onion Root Tips Estimate the amount of time cell spent in each mitotic phase in this animated cyber-version of the chapter’s lab investigation. After completing this activity, identifying the phases of mitosis will be a snap.
- Spindle Microtubules These amazing pictures show microtubule organization at interphase and during several stages of mitosis. (The microtubules are stained green, and the DNA is stained blue.)
- Cytokinesis Movie This site shows a very nice cytokinesis of a mouse cell growing in a dish.
- Amphibian Embryology This site provides a good overview of how mitosis takes a fertilized egg and produces an animal from it