Chemistry PowerPoint Notes
1. What makes up everything in the universe?
2. Name 2 properties of all matter.
3. Define mass.
4. How does weight differ from mass?
5.What are elements?
6. Name the 4 elements that make up most of a living thing.
7. What is used to represent an element?
8. Name the smallest part of an element.
9. What are the 2 main regions of an atom?
10. Where is the nucleus of an atom found and what does it contain?
11. What is the charge on a proton? A neutron?
12. All atoms of the same element have the ________ number of protons.
13. The number of protons in an atom determines the _________________________.
14. What is the charge on an electron?
15. If you know the number of protons in an atom, how can you determine the number of electrons?
16. Do all the atoms of the same element have the same number of neutrons?
17. Atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons are called ___________.
18. The mass of an atom is centered in the ___________.
19. The number of protons PLUS neutrons in an atom determines its ___________________.
20. What atomic particle has a negative charge?
21. Why isn’t the mass of an electron used to determine the atomic mass of an element?
22. Where are electrons found?
23. Which electrons in an atom have the most energy?
24. How many energy levels are there & name them?
25. How many electrons will each energy level hold?
26. Elements are arranged on a __________________ by their atomic _____________.
27. What are Periods & what do they tell you about elements?
28.What are Families & what do they tell you about elements?
29. Two or more elements combined together make a _____________.
30. Chemical ______________ represent compounds.
31. _____________ are the smallest part of a compound.
32. ______________ in chemical formulas tell the number of atoms of each element.
33. _____________ in a formula tell the number of molecules.
34. Compounds have ____________ properties than its elements.
35. The outermost _______________ in elements determine if they will combine.
36. Elements with ___________ outer energy levels are stable & won’t react.
37. Why do elements tend to react with other elements?
38. Chemical _____________ represent chemical reactions.
39. ______________ appear on the right of the equation, while ___________ are on the left.
40. Chemical bonds store ____________.
41. How do covalent bonds form?
42. How do ions form?
43. Positive ions _________ electrons, while negative ions ___________ electrons.
44. Define energy.
43. Give some examples of different forms of energy.
44. Atoms are in constant ________________, which determines the atom’s ____________.
45. List the 3 main states of matter.
46. _______________ energy must be added or removed to change the state of matter.
47. In reactions the amount of product must ____________ the amount of reactants.
48. Most of an organism’s energy comes from _____________ in foods.
49. _______________ reactions release energy.
50. Give an example of an exergonic reaction in cells.
51. _________________ reactions store energy.
52. Give an example of an endergonic reaction in cells.
53. Most reactions in cells are _________________.
54. _________________ energy is the energy needed to start a reaction.
55. Catalysts _____________ the amount of activation energy needed.
56. Catalysts in organisms are called ______________ and are usually ______________.
57. Enzymes act on ____________ which join at the _______________ site.
58. Can enzymes be reused?
59. Redox reactions stands for _________________________ reactions.
60. The oxidized substance _____________ electrons & becomes _____________ charged.
61. The reduced substance _____________ electrons & becomes _____________ charged.
62. Define solution.
63. The _____________ is dissolved in the ____________ in a solution.
64. _______________ is the universal solvent.
65. A solution becomes _____________ when no more solute will dissolve.
66. ______________ solutions have water as the solvent & are important to ______________.
67. What is the dissociation of water?
68. Write the equation for this.
69. OH is the ______________ ion, while H+ is the ______________ ion.
70. Acids produce _____________ ions, while bases have an excess of ________ ions.
71. The _______ scale measures the concentration of H+ ions and goes from ____________.
72. From 0 to 7 are ___________, a pH of 7 is __________, & above 7 to 14 are _________.
73. _____________ are used in the body to control pH and keep it near a pH of ______ or neutral.